Course DatesTo be verified
€ 395 per person, inclusive of course manual, lunch and refreshments.
9.15am – 11.00am
The Nature of Plastics Materials
• Plastics vs Wood and Metal
• Shrinkage and Warpage
• How to select different plastics for different products
• Cost, weight, size, wall thickness issues to be aware of
11.00am – 11.15am Tea/Coffee Break
11.15am – 1.00pm
Designing with Plastics
• Overview of available processing methods – pro’s and con’s of each
• Designing parts to suit different plastic processing methods
• Limitations of plastics and opportunities for designers using plastics
• Designing for small runs vs. mass production
1.00pm – 2.00pm Lunch
2.00pm – 5.00pm
Case Study Appraisal/ Q&A
Attendees are encouraged to bring in their own projects where the presenter will select some of the projects and go through the following areas in detail:
• Material selection
• Processing Technique
• Prototyping/ Design/ Costing for production
Please note that the day will be interactive and all attendees will be encouraged to ask many questions – it is intended that each attendee will leave with sufficient knowledge of what is needed to bring their product to manufacture and sale
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Artists and Designers (eg. furniture designers) who wish to gain a better understanding of design in relation to plastics including choosing the right material and processing method for your chosen product, as well as understanding the route/ costs to bring a product to manufacture.
First Polymer Training,
7 Centre Court,
Blyry Business Park,
Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
1 Day – 9.15 am to 5.00 pm
The successful completion of this programme by the learner does not lead to an award, but a certificate of attendance is issued to each participant.
Safety Shoes: Not required on this course