22nd April, 2020 - 27th May, 2020 (6 days)
Duration: 3 x 1 hour sessions x 6 weeks. Starting Wednesday 22nd April - Finishing 27th May
Accreditation: Essentials of Mould Design
Full Fee: €650
Course code: 5N4317
Introduction to Injection Mould Design- Online. Recorded lectures will be available after.
3 x 1 hour sessions x 6 weeks Starting Wednesday 22nd April -Finishing 27th May
- 12:00 noon
- last session will be an assignment tutorial.
The program assumes no prior knowledge or ability to design an injection mould tool. The program covers the basics of plastic injection mould design and is intended to provide a platform for those wishing to undertake mould design. The course will assist those engaged in the art of machine setting with a greater understanding of the influence the mould tool has on part quality, output volume and process efficiency. This course is an essential foundation for setters, part designers and mould designers working or wishing to work in the injection moulding industry.
Follow on courses recommended:
Upon completion, someone having undertaken the course will be able to:
- Understand the design and function of a 2-Plate mould.
- Understand the design and function of a 3 – Plate mould.
- Be able to design a basic mould feed system.
- Be able to select a gate to production requirement.
- Be able to design a mould cooling system.
- Be able to design a mould ejection system.
- Be able to combine LOI3-6 into a mould design.
- Be able to undertake a basic appraisal of a new injection moulded component.
- Be able to differentiate between a part design fault, a mould design fault, a material fault and a processing defect.
Who is the course for
Injection Moulding Technicians, Engineers, and Management who have a responsibility for ordering, modifying or replacing injection moulds will gain most benefit from this course. A better understanding of mould design theory will greatly assist in obtaining optimised moulds and reducing mould commissioning times.
- The injection Moulding Machine and its Influence on Mould design
- The 2-Plate mould
- Exercise: Design the layout of a 2-Plate mould
- Polymer melt flow.
- Gating and Feeding
- Ejection techniques
- Estimation of ejection force
- The 3-Plate mould
- Stack Moulds
- Undercut Moulds
- Exercise: Design the layout of a 3-Plate mould
- Prototype moulds and techniques
- Mould tool construction materials
- Exercise: Calculation of mould plate deflection
- Runnerless moulds
- Exercise: Design and Layout of a Runnerles mould
- Standard mould parts
- Plastic product design for injection moulding
- Injection mould fault appraisal and analysis
- Exercise: Undertake moulded fault appraisal
- Tutorial covering the assignment
- 1-Hour examination
– A tutorial covering the course Assignment
Peter Cracknell has over 40 years experience in the Plastics Industry. Initially he served his time as an injection mould toolmaker (Metal Box), production engineer (Metal Box), senior production engineer (BOC), senior lecturer (LSPT), academic leader in polymer engineering (LSPT), Consulting engineer.
Expertise: Injection moulded part design, mould tool design, plastic materials, processing trouble shooting, experienced lecturer (30 years), BETC assessor for NVQ in Polymer Engineering, expert witness (30 years experience).
Qualifications: HNC Mechanical & Prod Eng, GradPRI – ALSPT First Class hons. C&G Risk Assessment, BTEC NVQ Assessor
Use this section to give an overview of the trainer provider
This programme is a QQI component (minor) award, certified at Level 5 on the national framework of qualifications – see www.nfq.ie and is an elective component of major award 5M3080 – Plastics Injection Moulding .