To be verified
Duration: 3 x 1 hour sessions, running for 6 weeks. 9am to 1pm with 30 min breaks
Accreditation: Certificate of attendance
Full Fee: €650
Course code: PDOL
The course assumes no prior knowledge about plastic part design. Many existing plastic products and new products converted from metals are redesigned in order to simplify production and reduce costs. Designers have to be aware of the unique nature of plastics and how to effectively design with these materials if useful products are to be made. Existing plastic part designers will need to update their knowledge base to effectively design parts from new high performance polymers for medical, automotive and aerospace applications in particular.
Tuesday mornings – 3 x 1 hour sessions: 9.00am, 10:30am & 12noon.
All sessions will be recorded so if you miss a session you can catch up by viewing the recorded session.
Upon completion of the course a candidate will be able to:
- Construct a basic polymer product design specification
- Design a basic polymer product from first principles
- Understand the influence of polymer processing upon design and final properties
- Understand the influence of specific polymer properties upon design
- Undertake basic quality appraisal of new polymer products
- Differentiate between polymer processing, tool design or product design defects
- Demonstrate and apply a basic knowledge of good polymer design practice.
Who is the course for
- Designer makers,
- Product designers,
- Mechanical engineers working with polymers,
- Polymer product engineers,
- Polymer product supply and sourcing,
- QA assessors of polymer products,
- Management of polymer product development projects,
- Processors and manufacturers of polymer products.
Peter Cracknell has over 40 years experience in the Plastics Industry. Initially he served his time as an injection mould toolmaker (Metal Box), production engineer (Metal Box), senior production engineer (BOC), senior lecturer (LSPT), academic leader in polymer engineering (LSPT), Consulting engineer.
Expertise: Injection moulded part design, mould tool design, plastic materials, processing trouble shooting, experienced lecturer (30 years), BETC assessor for NVQ in Polymer Engineering, expert witness (30 years experience).
Qualifications: HNC Mechanical & Prod Eng, GradPRI – ALSPT First Class hons. C&G Risk Assessment, BTEC NVQ Assessor