23rd March, 2021 - 13th April, 2021 (4 days)
13th October, 2021 - 3rd November, 2021 (4 days)
Duration: 3 x 1 hour sessions x 4 weeks. Tuesday Mornings - 09:00AM/ 10:30AM/ 12:00 noon ( with breaks)
Accreditation: Certificate of Attendance
Full Fee: €450
Course code: ROPOL
Polymer Recycling Online Short Course Session Schedule – Live Lectures and recorded lectures will be available after.
3 x 1 hour sessions x 4 weeks:
- 12:00 noon
Outside of the plastics industry, recycling of these materials is not understood. This course sets out to explain and identify what the EU requirements are for recycling, what polymers are effectively recycled, how they are used, identified, sorted, washed and reclaimed into re-useable materials. The course further explains how these materials are modified by the use of additives, gives examples of end use applications and how to design new plastic products from an ethical point of view, eg, selecting plastics with low carbon footprints, designing components which use less energy to process and convert into products, good and poor ethical design practices when designing with these materials are explained. The course introduces an ethical Design For Manufacture concept for plastic components. Design for Recycling, inc, Theory explained, carbon reducing design practice explained. Examples include redesigning an existing product to reduce carbon foot print.
Who is the course for
- Designers involved in Plastic Part Design
- People who wish to learn about the plastic recycling industry
- Those working in the Recycling Industry
- People making ethical choices about the use of plastics, etc.
- Upon Completion of this Course, a person will be able to:
- Understand which plastics are effectively recycled and which are not.
- Understand the EU Recycling Directives governing the use and application of these materials.
- Understand how plastics are identified in a waste stream.
- Understand how sorted waste plastics are converted back into useable materials.
- Make ethical decisions when selecting plastics for use applications.
- Use an ethical Design For Manufacture approach to designing new plastic products in the future.
- EU Recycling Laws, Statistics and Directives, inc, Life Cycle directive, WEEE directive, ELV directive. Polymer recycling statistics and targets for EU member states, etc.
- Overview of polymers currently recycled, inc: Recycle polymer ID numbers, polymer types, nature, properties, costs, recycled values, typical use applications and environmental issues. Inc, Polyolefines PP, HDPE, LDPE films, etc.
- Overview of polymers continued, inc, Styrenics (PS, HIPS, SAN, ABS), Acrylics, Polycarbonates, PET and PVC – nature, properties, costs, recycled values, use applications and environmental issues covered.
- The recycling process, typical cycle explained, washing and sorting techniques, inc: Macro-sorting, Near IR spectroscopy, X-ray sorting, Laser aided techniques, marker systems – explained.
- Washing and granulation, Sink / Float sorting, selective dissolution methods explained. Recycling methods explained, inc, PET bottles to granules, LDPE film to granules, Acrylic dissolution and reconstitution via REX extrusion, etc.
- Re-constituted material testing and characterisation, inc, test methods undertaken, spectroscopic appraisal, MFI testing, tensile strength
- Additive / recycled material property enhancement, inc, co-polymers, blends, thermal stabilizers, UV stabilizers, impact modifiers, fillers, blowing agents, colourants and reinforcing systems explained.
- 1End use markets for recycled polymers, use examples inc: Poly wood, clothing fibres, building products, laminates, etc. Explanation of how the recycled polymer is used.
Peter Cracknell has over 40 years experience in the Plastics Industry. Initially he served his time as an injection mould toolmaker (Metal Box), production engineer (Metal Box), senior production engineer (BOC), senior lecturer (LSPT), academic leader in polymer engineering (LSPT), Consulting engineer.
Expertise: Injection moulded part design, mould tool design, plastic materials, processing trouble shooting, experienced lecturer (30 years), BETC assessor for NVQ in Polymer Engineering, expert witness (30 years experience).
Qualifications: HNC Mechanical & Prod Eng, GradPRI – ALSPT First Class hons. C&G Risk Assessment, BTEC NVQ Assessor