To be verified
Duration: €1895 for the 7 days includes QQI accreditation, course manual, lunches and refreshments.
Location: 7 Centre Court, Blyry Business and Commercial Park, Athlone.
Accreditation: Certificate of attendance
Full Fee: € 1895 for the 7 days includes QQI accreditation, course manual, lunches and refreshments.
Course code: 6N537O
The structure of the course will be a 5-day block (Monday – Friday) and then a further 2-day block at a later date to complete the QQI accreditation.
The cost above includes the accreditation and attendance fee for Day 6 & 7.
No discount or refund will be given to participants that do not attend/ complete the 2 further accreditation days.
This course is designed to focus on the fundamentals of Siemens Simatic S7, specifically covering Step 7 programming in “LAD”, “FBD” and “STL”
We can deliver a shorter tailored programme at our centre in Athlone for you/ or on-site if you have injection moulding capability there.
After completing a FIVE DAY Siemens PLC course the participant will be able to :
- Design and Write PLC programs and understand their structures.
- Troubleshoot / Fault find PLC hardware and software issues around Plant machinery using laptops with specific software to integrate these complex systems.
- Involve participants in workshops designed to develop their own applications and advances their existing programming skills and fault-finding skills.
- Increased Level of understanding as to how Automation Systems in general work.
Over advantage is Upskilling Maintenance Personnel and reduces the Downtime of Plant Machines, providing greater and efficient production output.
Who is the course for
The “Hands On Workshop” is designed for Engineers, Technicians, Electricians, Maintenance Personal and those who have some knowledge of PLC’s and want to gain a better understanding and a good practical knowledge of Siemens PLC’s.
- Chapter 1: Introductions
- Chapter 2: Siemens S7 PLC Hardware
Description of Simatic S7 Range of PLCs.
- Central Processing Units.
- Digital Input / Output Modules.
- Analogue Input / Output Modules.
- Power Supplies
- Absolute / Symbolic Addressing.
- Chapter 3: Siemens S7 PLC Hardware
Communications Processors (CP)
- RS340, 341, etc
- Profibus Modules.
- Remote I/O ET200M, ET200S.
- ASi Modules.
- Ethernet Modules.
- GSD Files.
- Hardware Updates.
- Chapter 4: Creating and Handling Projects.
- Project Settings, PLC, Block, Symbol, Documentation, Option, Eprom, STL. Batch No.
- Transfer, Compare, Delete & Copy Blocks to & from the PLC / PC.
- Edit “Load” Settings
- Edit “Save” Settings
- Edit “Save As” Settings
- Edit “Archive” Settings
- Edit “Dearchive” Settings
- Chapter 5: Siemens S7 PLC Hardware
- S7 Functionality Online / Offline. What is the difference.
- Program Structure Calls
- Storing Programs on EPROM /RAM / MEDIA Cards
- Options using PG Interface using CP5511, ISO TCP/IP WIRELESS, PPI, MPI/DP.
- Chapter 6: Fundamentals of PLC Software
- Methods of Representation i.e. Ladder Logic, Statement List and FBD.
Overview of OBs, FBs FCs, SFBs, SFC’s, DBs and SDB’s
Fundamental Ladder Logic Instruction Set “AND” & “OR” etc.
Contacts Normally “OPEN” & “CLOSED”.
- Chapter 7: Binary & Logic Operations
- Create a user program in LAD, STL & FBD for,
“AND” Logic Function.
“OR” Logic Function.
- Chapter 7: Binary & Logic Operations Cont,
- “AND” Before “OR”.
“OR” Before “AND”.
Motor Start/Stop Circuit.
“OPEN” & “CLOSED”.
Online status, using LAD, FBD, STL.
Introduction to Statement List. Explain the rules used.
- Chapter 8: RS Flip Flops / Comparators
RS Flip Flops
SR Flip Flops
Explain the difference between RS/SR.
- Chapter 9: Timers
- Pulse Timers
- Extended Pulse Timers
- On Delay Timers
- Explain the Timing diagrams. Always causes confusion.
- Chapter 9: Timers Cont,
- Stored On Delay Timers
- Off Delay Timers
- Chapter 10: Counters
- Count Up Counter
- Count Down Counters
- Chapter 11: Numbering Systems
- What are “BITS” “BYTES” “WORD” and “REAL VALUES”
- Binary, Hexidecimal, Decimal ASCII and BCD
- Edit the Force Variable
- Processing and Storing numbers in the PLC
- Load and Transfer Functions
- The PLC Accumulators
- Chapter 12: Monitor & Force Variables
Create VAT Tables.
- Save VAT Tables.
- Modify / Monitor Variables
- Chapter 12: Monitor & Force Variables Cont,
- Force Inputs, Explain the consequences. Demonstrate the LED Force.
- Chapter 13 Restart & Performance Characteristics
- Stop Mode
- Run Mode
- Cold Restart
- Warm Restart
- Chapter 14 Introduction to Trouble Shooting.
- Types of Faults
- Error Indicators on the CPU
- PLC Info “ISTACK” & “BSTACK”
- Chapter 15: Program Structure of An Existing PLC System
- General Layout of Software
- Organisation Blocks
- Function Blocks Used
- Function Calls Used
- Data Blocks Used
- Instance Data Blocks
- Chapter 15: Program Structure of Existing PLC System Cont,
- Function Blocks Used
- Data Blocks Used
- Take the Class outside to a PLC System
- Copy PLC Program to Harddisk
- Compare PLC Software with copied version
- Status of program Online / Offline
- Startup of PLC Questions
- Take the Class outside to a PLC System Cont,
- Fault find using PG / PC tools
Full instructions, timelines and ongoing guidance will be given by the course tutor.
Desmond Foley is the founder and MD of Focus Engineering. He has worked in the Automation Industry for more than 30 years.
Des has worked in many industries including Pharmaceutical, Power Generation, Oil and Gas, Food and Beverage and Medical Supplies.
He has been responsible for activities ranging from design, program development, testing and commissioning of PLC control systems, to the management of automation projects as a Senior Projects/Automation Engineer.
Des endeavours to provide superior quality service to all of Focus Engineering’s customers.
Qualifications Des has a BSc in Engineering, Dip in EE and Dip in HR.
Safety Shoes – Not Required on this course
This programme is a QQI component (minor) award, certified at Level 6 on the national framework of qualifications – see www.nfq.ie and is a mandatory component of major award 6M5154 – Maintenance Skills Technology