4th April, 2023 - 5th April, 2023 (2 days)
Duration: 2 Days
Location: 7 Centre Court, Blyry Business and Commercial Park, Athlone Co. Westmeath N37 RT29
Accreditation: Certificate of Attendance
Full Fee: €795.00 (inclusive of course manual, lunch and refreshments)
The course introduces the subject of thermoforming technology. It aims to give an in-depth understanding of the whole thermoforming process including mould and tool design, product design, materials and troubleshooting with a number of practical sessions to support upskilling. It will enhance the knowledge and expertise of each participant leading to increased productivity, cost savings and greater uptime.
Not what you are looking for: FPT can design bespoke programmes for companies to be delivered at our Athlone Centre, online or on-site depending on any specific needs. Please get in touch to discuss further.
Who is the course for
The course is ideal for new and existing vacuum forming machine setter operators, plastic product designers, vacuum form tool manufacturers, designer-makers, product engineers (eg, medical production/product development) and those undertaking new plastic product development and prototype manufacture.
• The thermoforming forming process, including clamping, heating, sheet level control, pre-stretch, thermoforming, plug assist, cooling and release.
• Thermoforming mould tool and design, inc: Male and Female moulds, Baseboards and mounting, Mould making materials, Draught angles and tapers, Venting, Shrinkage and mould release, Ejection techniques, Under-cuts, Splits, multi-Impression and plug assist design, Mould Cooling Techniques.
• Practical Session
• Product Design, including Components and applications, wall sections and profiles, webbing and thinning, chill marking, definition, reinforcing, finishing and trimming.
• Troubleshooting, including Blistering, scorching, sticking, poor definition, webbing, warping, chill marking, thinning, tearing, sagging, contamination and static.
• Thermoforming materials, including Material Characteristics, ABS, PMMA, PETG, HIPS, PC, PP, PE and PVC are covered.
• Multi-layer materials and feedstocks, inline processes.
• Practical Session
• Discussion/ Q&A Session
The Centre is also equipped with a Formech 300XQ thermoforming machine, which will be used for the practical element of the course
Peter Cracknell has over 40 years experience in the Plastics Industry. Initially he served his time as an Injection Mould Toolmaker (Metal Box), Production Engineer (Metal Box), Senior Production Engineer (BOC), Senior Lecturer (LSPT), Academic Leader in polymer engineering (LSPT) and Consulting Engineer.
His areas of expertise include injection moulded part design, mould tool design, plastic materials, processing trouble shooting, lecturer (30 years), BETC assessor for NVQ in Polymer Engineering and an expert witness. He holds an HNC Mechanical & Prod Eng, GradPRI – ALSPT First Class hons, C&G Risk Assessment, BTEC NVQ Assessor.